Monday, May 11, 2009

Catwoman Poll #8


So last week, Marion Cotillard finished first, as I expected, but Emily Blunt gave her a real challenge, finishing only one vote back. Also surprising to me, Ali Larter finished a close third. You can see the full results at the bottom of the sidebar to the right.

As I mentioned last week, this last week is pretty iffy. Mostly it's people I kept putting off because I didn't have much nice to say about them. I suspect that the winner of this poll might finish last in the final round (which will be next week). So here they are, the leftovers:

  • Jennifer Aniston
    You might know her from: Ferris Beuller (the TV series), Leprechaun
    She's built for comedy, if that makes any sense. Her voice, being generally a great looking woman but having a slightly large nose (you can't really do comedy if you're flawlessly beautiful). She's tried drama sometimes, but I don't think people remember Derailed or the Good Girl all that fondly.


  • Elizabeth Banks
    You might know her from: Spider-Man (JJJ's secretary), Invincible, Zack and Miri, Scrubs
    I love her in a lot of roles, I think she's a really gifted comedic actress, but in dramas she's just kind of another pretty face. Which is fine, I guess, but I'd hope for more from Catwoman.


  • Rachel Blanchard
    You might know her from: Snakes on a Plane, 7th Heaven, Clueless (the TV series)
    She's a lovely girl, but totally wrong for Catwoman, IMO. She just seems... innocent isn't the word, but generally harmless.


  • Claire Danes
    You might know her from: My So-Called Life, Terminator 3, Romeo+Juliet
    I once read a book by screenwriter William Goldman where he talks about seeing Robin Wright in the Princess Bride and becoming convinced she'd be the biggest star in the world. Shortly after, she was up for some big role that would have made her career, but she was pregnant and had to pass. Goldman wrote that Barbara Streisand never would've gotten pregnant. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just that you have to have a drive to be an A-list actor to become an A-list actor, and Robin Wright didn't seem to have it. Point being, Claire Danes seemed like she was going to be the actress of my generation around '96, but she did some smaller movies, an ill-advised Mod Squad movie, took some time off to go to college, and until Terminator 3 never seemed to make any effort to cultivate her celebrity. I don't think she was really that into being a huge star, T3 notwithstanding. I don't really see her as a Catwoman anyway, but I don't think it'd be something she'd be that interested in.


  • Alexandra Maria Lara
    You might know her from: The Reader, maybe?
    I have no idea who this is. Looking at a few pictures, she wouldn't be high on my list.


  • Gretchen Mol (pictured above)
    You might know her from: Rounders, Life on Mars (the US one), 3:10 to Yuma, The Thirteenth Floor
    She's been in a lot of movies I've seen, but is generally not memorable in them. I only really remember her in Rounders (which I've seen about a million times), and she wasn't that good in it. So I can't say she'd be very high on my list of potential Catwoman actors.


  • Audrey Tautou
    You might know her from: Amelie, The Da Vinci Code
    I've only seen her in the one movie, but she seemed a little... delicate. Catwoman is not delicate. So unless my impression was wrong, she is not right for the part.


  • Emma Thompson
    You might know her from: Shakespeare adaptations, that one Cheers episode where she played Nanny G, Howards End, Harry Potter movies
    Julianne Moore did pretty well in these polls despite being 50-ish, but Emma Thompson actually kinda looks 50-ish. Not that she's not great looking for 50, but even more so than Julianne Moore, I can't see her leaping from rooftop to rooftop or kicking Batman in the face.


  • Kate Winslet
    You might know her from: Titanic, other stuff
    Great actress, not right for Catwoman. I never found her all that attractive, she doesn't really have an athletic body type, and she never really seemed like the type to be kinda evil and enjoy it.


Voting is already open on the sidebar to the right.

No comments: